Having completed my Khalsa Way Pregnancy Yoga Teacher’s Training with Gurmukh and Akal at Golden Bridge Los Angeles, I learned a lot of helpful information I am now ready to share with you. The Khalsa Way is a gentle yoga for pregnant mothers created by Gurmukh with the blessing of her kundalini yoga and meditation teacher, Yogi Bhajan.
I recently ran into a woman who took pregnancy yoga with Gurmukh many years ago, when Gurmukh was still teaching out of her house. This woman said she LOVED her labor and described it as “fun.” Khalsa Way cannot promise that to every woman of course, but this woman’s experience shows what is possible.
1. If you are not yet pregnant but are manifesting pregnancy, you may want to go to a Khalsa Way class to be in Divine feminine energy. One woman who could not get pregnant for two years went to two Khalsa Way classes and then became pregnant.
2. In preparation for conception, male partners may want to eat P foods for potency, including plums, pears, pineapples and pistachios. Figs, ginger, onion and garlic are also helpful for men’s potency.
3. Yogi Bhajan advised NOT conceiving on an eclipse (as he did) because the child could be off-kilter.
4. In pregnancy, you can encourage your baby verbally to be in the safest position. You can say, “My baby’s head is down, chin to chest, hands on heart, back to belly.” If your child is not in this position, you may tell the baby he or she can remain that way but you can explain how that labor will go versus a labor if the baby chooses to move positions.
5. It is a good idea to take a kundalini yoga and meditation re-birthing class before you bring a child into this world in order to clear your own stuff and birth.
6. If you are drawn to a Khalsa Way yoga class and have no idea why, you are carrying a high-vibrational child who wants to go to the class.
7. “Keep up” exercises learned during Khalsa Way classes help to conquer the mind which is helpful for childbirth. Yogi Bhajan once said, “Keep up and you will be kept up.”
8. In a Khalsa Way class, you may do up to 15 squats per class. Squats help to shorten the birth canal. (However, women 34 weeks plus who have babies with feet down or bottom down should only go halfway down in a squat.) You will also do Kegel exercises to strengthen the pelvic floor and can do them on your own every day.
9. It is a good idea for pregnant women to walk up to 5 miles a day.
10. Mantras played during pregnancy can change the destiny and karma of the baby. When playing and singing Ra Ma Da Sa, a healing mantra, you may want to place your hands on your belly. Young children may remember the mantras you played them while they were in the womb.
11. Kundalini yoga teaches that the soul enters the womb at 120 days. From 120 days to birth, that is when the mother gives values to the child. This is the time when you will have the most influence over your child. You may want to consider doing seva, or sacred service, during this time.
12. Babies come in with their own money karma and can cause promotions, for example.
13. Some possible birth experiences you may want to consider include natural (no drugs), water births and/or home births as well as hospital births.
14. Research the arguments against circumcision and consider not circumcising your baby boys.
15. In labor, whatever position feels right to you is the right position. Some examples include walking, cat/cow and squatting.
16. You may want to play Adi Shakti, a Divine feminine mantra, during labor.
17. Some women experience orgasmic births and have orgasms during labor.
18. After the baby is born, it is a good idea for the mother and baby to stay home for 40 days and within 9 feet of each other for the baby’s magnetic field and to confirm values. The first 3 days, the woman should not do anything but rest, feed and bond with the baby and walk to the bathroom.
19. Not learned in Khalsa Way, but as an angel therapist, I suggest working with angels for assistance with conception, pregnancy and birth. Archangel Gabriel is the archangel of pregnancy and has a copper aura. Archangel Raphael, the archangel of health, has an emerald green aura. You may ask them to live with you for the duration of your pregnancy.
Latest posts by Stephanie Jones (see all)
- Pregnancy Yoga with Gurmukh - February 15, 2011
- Love on the Spiritual Path: Kundalini Yoga and Karma - February 11, 2011
- Yoga for Children: 10 Lessons for Life - January 24, 2011
- 10 Tips for Spiritual Parenting - January 7, 2011
- Reincarnation and Past Life Regression - January 3, 2011