The body’s first defense against disease is the immune system. Kundalini yoga offers many kriyas that stimulate circulation, cleanse the body, and boost the immune system. One of the best ways to strengthen the immune system is through vigorous exercise. Practicing different kriyas is a great way to work up a sweat! It is important to sweat each day because sweat contains acids that make the skin inhospitable to bacteria.
A vigorous workout can also clear the mind. Your mental state has an effect on your immune system: mental or emotional stress weakens the body’s ability to defend itself against pathogens. Whether you’re healthy or feeling the onset of a cold, make time in your day to workout and strengthen your immune system!
Kriya: Kundalini Yoga for Strengthening the Immune System 1
Originally taught on October 22, 1985.
This yoga set can be found in the manual Physical Wisdom.
1. Sitting in easy pose, bring your hands into prayer pose at the center of your chest
and then extend your arms out to the sides. Return them to prayer pose and continue, stretching the armpits as much as you can when you extend the arms out to the sides. Breathe long and deep. Keep moving faster and faster, extending the arms all the way out. You are exercising your immune system and making it stronger.
After 3 minutes start getting angry and feisty. Start fighting and use the motion to get all your anger out. Continue for another 8 minutes.
2. Sitting in easy pose, interlace your fingers to lock your hands above your head with your elbows straight. Twist left and right from the base of your spine. Do breath of fire and move wildly. 4 Minutes. This is very good for the liver.
3. Lie down on your back and make your body jump vigorously up, down, and all around. Move every part of your body including your head. Move vigorously. 4 Minutes. This is the best exercise to get rid of anger and it makes the immune system healthy.
4. Turn onto your belly and lock your hands in the small of your back. Again make your body jump vigorously up, down, and all around. Move every part of you. 3 1/2 Minutes.
5. Keeping your forehead on the floor, grab your ankles and pull up on them so that you lift your knees up from the ground. Once you are balanced with your knees suspended, hold the posture with a long, slow breath for 1 1/2 Minutes.
It is self-control which matters in life. Life is not given to you for any other reason but to experience your own creativity and your own Self in the dignity of its existence.
Find more great kriyas to boost your health in the manual Physical Wisdom!