Kundalini Yoga for Men

Yoga For Men

meditation(Editor’s Note:  In America, the majority of people in a yoga class are women.  But in India, the roots of yoga lie with men.  Yoga for Men is not a new concept.  Kundalini Yoga for Men is not a new concept.  But if it is new for you, I encourage you to embrace it and learn from the article below.  It will change your life.)

The mainstream definition of masculinity is rooted in some primitive image of a territorial animal. Men are rated not on their valor or courage. Men are not judged by their benevolence or wisdom. We have been reduced to being judged by what we own and who we own and how many women we’ve conquered. Let us break the mold. Perhaps these few yogic practices will help us free ourselves from this “Man Box”.

1. Read “Man to Man

Man to Man” is such an important manual for men and women to read. It is an amalgam of ever male-specific course that Yogi Bhajan taught. Compared to women’s courses, he taught very few just for the men. The lectures cover so many aspects of what it means to be a man and how to maintain your grace and strength as a spiritual man. He is very frank in his language and speaks directly about everything from sexuality to diet to marriage. I can’t recommend this book enough.

2. Archer Pose

Hit your mark. Be successful. Archer pose is an awesome challenge and a great way to get the blood flowing. Really bend the front leg and put your weight on the front foot. Archer pose is designed to sustain and build courage and self esteem. Build up from three minutes on each side.

3. Diet

Part of Yogiji’s whole thesis is to relate to yourself as a benevolent sovereign saint. In “Man to Man” he says a man should never eat on the run. I’m paraphrasing, “I don’t care if all you are eating is a carrot, you should be sitting at the table with silverware and a nice plate.” In other words, it’s not only what you eat that matters, it’s also the energy and intention with which you eat.

There are many recipes that are great for men’s health and potency in the manual. One of the recipes that really stuck out was the simplest: Chyawanprash on toast. Yogiji often states that men in this society have spent themselves and destroyed their sexual/creative potential and health with over-stimulation. When a student asked how to heal that damage, he gave chyawanprash spread on whole grain toast.

4. The Evergreen Exercises

You’ll find these in the manual as well. The set is long and challenging. It will test your balance and perseverance. The point of the set is to keep you young and spry. You’ll find other sets like this one. Throughout the teachings, Yogiji comes back a concept of creative potency. The idea is that as a man, rather than waste your creative/sexual energy on base sex or masturbation, use these powerful exercises to harness that potential. It’s a really beautiful concept. It’s very freeing from the pattern of comparing yourself to other men on the basis of worldly things. The trick is to harness your sun strength to light the world around you.

5. Jaap Sahib

I have a beautiful personal relationship to this bani of Guru Gobind Singh. As a teenager, I was going through a very insecure time. I was surrounded by friends who were all in relationships and I began to feel very lonely. In fact, that loneliness had been an issue in my life for some time. What can I say? I can be a romantic fool. One day, I read a quote of Yogi Bhajan. The quote was about “turning loneliness to oneness”. That concept alone was so freeing. In the quote, he mentioned Jaap Sahib as a vessel to transform that feeling. I began to read it every morning.

Jaap Sahib is a warrior’s hymn. As you master the wording you will find a rythm. Your voice becomes a beating war drum. When you’re finished your eyes will be cool and glowing and your heart will hum. Yogiji described Jaap Sahib as the sun energy to Jap Ji Sahib’s Moon energy.

What stuff are you made of? Will you rise to the challenge to be a saintly man in this lifetime? It’s tough to get across such a message in a blog post, but we have the ability and technology to shift our approach to manhood. I’m in, are you?

Need men’s yoga pants and other clothes for yoga?  Click Here!

1. Amazing stuff. Thanks!

2. great work

3. Hi, guys! I have problems with potency … I need your help! Did you have it?

4. My apologies if my response seemed glib.

I hear you. I can 500% relate to exactly what you are saying. The trick is, as you said, don’t act from mood. Meditate and whatever happens, don’t be too hard on yourself.

Someone once gave me this advice. If you go down that road before commitment is set, you then show her that you could not resist her. As the relationship continues, you play catchup in trying to show her that you can resist others. It’s a question of showing her your commitment to your practice and your radiance as a spiritual man.

So it’s not about wrong or right. And it’s not about healthy or not healthy. It can really come down to a question of integrity and honor.

Lot’s of love Eli

5. Sat Nam and thanks for the candid answer. I might be splitting hairs, but I am also trying to reconcile teachings that make sense to me (in Man to Man) with my own desires, which i must both respect and question. I do not think my penis is a magic wand, but i do feel like i have something powerful and beautiful that i could share with a powerful and beautiful woman. At the same time i have absolutely no desire to get married.
    Marriage as yoga is an interesting idea, but something i know i am not ready for. What i am not sure about is if not being ready for marriage and not being ready for sex are absolutely and in all cases the same thing.
    Not taking on more than i can handle is very true, a mistake i have certainly made in the past, and something i must be more aware of. In the end, of course, i must be the judge of this.
    I know at least one reason i am asking this question. I sometimes feel lonely, i sometimes feel horny, and sometimes i feel both. I know and practice the techniques that help me get through these moods, emotions, and commotions, but the effectiveness of that practice does not mean that the desire is not genuine or merely the result of an imbalance (at least i don’t think it does). I want to share myself with someone who is special to me, someone whom i can uplift and who can uplift me. Is such a relationship only possible in marriage?
    What i think i believe (though i am not able to judge by my own experience) is that it is possible to have a deep, genuine, wholesome, and divine connection with someone and not be married to them, but it is harder. Maybe much harder. I have lain next to a beautiful friend who i wanted to have sex with, but did not, because i could sense that she was not ready, and that therefore we were not ready, and that the result of such a union would have been destructive. I do not want to have sex with someone just because they are willing and beautiful, or even a good friend. I admit that (despite my theory) i have never been in contact with a woman and sensed the sort of auric invocation that signaled to me that it would be good to share that kind of relationship with her. But i hope i do find that person before i am ready to be married… because i do not think that will be happening anytime soon.
    I must trust my intuition, i must be wary not to act through my mood (like horniness), and i must trust that what i need to grow will be presented in good time. In the mean time, its good to have someone to talk it out with.
    Sorry for the ramblings, thanks again for the thread. Be well brother.
    Eli

6. Sat Nam Eli,
    I’d like to write an entire post on the subject, because it’s an in-depth question.

I’ll say this for now. Yogiji does actually refer to marriage throughout the book. Pg. 68, for example, a student asks, “Do these principles apply to all women, not just your wife?” Yogi Bhajan replied with, “…yeah, same thing. You can have intercourse with your wife, that’s the only difference.” There are other instances as well. Read the Q&A with Hari Har Kaur on page 83.

I think you might want to more closely examine your reasons for asking. Upon reading them from an objective perspective, it does seem a bit like splitting hairs. Perhaps examine your relationship to and thinking on the concept of commitment.

You may not call yourself Sikh, but you are a yogi. Marriage is referred to as the highest and most difficult yoga.

Is it OK? Who am I? I’ll tell you from my experience that it has not been. It has been a painful journey.

It’s up to you in the end, Eli. But when you are making that deep of an auric, energetic, nervous, psychological, and physical connection, it begs to be asked, why? Is there a commitment there and you do not believe in marriage? Do you think of your penis as a magical wand that will cure all disease and pain because you are so righteous in bed? You are not Krishna, my brother.

Don’t take on more than you can handle. And you have to know what that means.

7. Sat Nam and hello. Thanks for the thread. I am about 3/4 of the way through Man to Man. Very good, crucial knowledge. Makes me cringe a bit recalling some of my past behavior… but at least i know i can (and how to) do better. I do have a question about sex and relationships with women outside of marriage. Speaking not as a Sikh, and purely from an energetic, auric perspective, can sex be good and genuine (again, from the perspective of a creative and divine act as described in Man to Man, where auras are aligned and in tune with each other, and the act is edifying rather than draining) with someone you are not married to? Some thoughts that lead me to ask this question are, firstly, that i rarely, if ever, find the specific mention of the requirement of marriage in Man to Man. He talks a lot about auric invocation, but again, the specific word marriage is not used (i don’t think). This being said, i have no doubt that Yogi Bhajan is totally in favor of a monogamous sexual relationship within marriage as being the best way, or at least the easiest way, to insure appropriate auric chemistry and sex as a divine act. I also realize it might seem that i am splitting hairs in order to “find a way out,” and maybe i am…. Another reason i ask the question is Yogi Bhajan’s story about Krishna (i think it was Krishna) sneaking into a young lady’s home and turning the whole house upside down in ecstasy. Obviously we are not all Krishna. So, in summary (sorry for rambling), speaking not as a Sikh, is it possible (at least in theory), for there to be a divine, genuine, and auricly edifying sexual experience between two conscious people who are not married?

8. That’s awesome, Fateh!

Ramdesh. In “Man to Man,” Yogiji does this really interesting experiment. He brings one of the male students in front of the class. He tells him to close his eyes and put out his arm. Yogiji then puts pressure on his arm and the man resists. He is muscle testing the man and the man’s arm stays up and strong. He motions for one of his female staff to come over and touch the mans feet. Yogiji applies pressure to the arm and it is weaker. He tells the student to open his eyes, and, upon seeing the woman, his arm fully loses strength.

Yogiji explains that men lose half of their strength in the presence of women. Part of all of the teachings are to be aware of that and to understand its significance. So, I guess the answer is, no. Men won’t stop changing around women. But we can remake the way that we relate to women.

I thought that was a really neat thing he showed.

• That’s rather mind boggling. Fascinating. It’s equally important that women learn how to relate to men, then, especially since I think many women will only have seen men in a very tough and dominating role in their lives. Many might not have ever seen any evidence that a man gets weak around women, simply because of physical strength. But I assume this refers to a different kind of strength, a more auric strength. And it just makes me want to So Purkh for everyone. :) I would be interested however, to do the reverse experience with a woman in the room. I assume it would not occur, of Yogiji wouldn’t have pointed it out to the men specifically, but it would be interesting. Thank you Shabd and Fateh for bringing up this interesting discourse on the men’s teachings, for holding space for men, and for being such bright lights!

9. Glad to see you are raising awareness of “men’s yoga”, or rather, men doing yoga and living consciously. We hold a regular monthly men’s group in New York City where us urban yogis get together and do a bit of yoga, meditation and talk – doing the things that men do best – working on, and bettering ourselves. The amazing thing is actually, when you get a group of men together (without women around) they become quite open, saintly, deep, and conscious! So, if you are looking to deepen your spiritual practice as a man, I’d highly suggest getting together and organizing a meeting where you are – all it takes is 3 guys, a stick, and an estrogen free room, and you are good to go! … (And just a small note… what happened, you couldn’t find a picture of a man doing archer pose for this article?? 😉

• Fateh…take a picture of yourself doing archer pose and send it along…I’ll change it asap! :) Also, do you think there is a point when men stop changing around women? Blessings to you!