Believe in Prosperity: The Prosperity Har Meditation

MED-000027-1A few months ago, I signed up for a wonderful series of Kundalini Yoga classes on the subject of prosperity. My teacher, Akalsukh, helped us to examine our relationship with money and encouraged us to be grateful for the abundance in our lives. We also learned a Meditation for Prosperity that we were to do every day for three to 11 minutes (beyond 11 minutes, Yogi Bhajan said, would be greedy because it is so powerful). We were to chant the mantra “Har,” alternately striking the sides of the hands together, with our elbows at our sides, and forearms at a 45-degree angle.

Hoping, yes. But not really believing.

What happened in the next few months was rather astounding. At first, I noticed that the other participants in the class seemed to be making great progress in their lives and careers. At the classes, others would report that they’d gotten a new job, or a raise, or had so much work they suddenly couldn’t even keep up with it.  It seemed as if the mantra was working for everyone—except me.  In fact, I was embarrassed to tell the class that during the six-week session, yet another agent had backed away from my manuscript.

In a private discussion with my teacher one day, I mentioned the “Har” meditation. He asked if I was reciting the mantra with conviction and dedication. Or, he questioned, was I reciting the words without real belief in them?

To me, that sounded sort of like “blaming the victim.” Was it my fault that things weren’t going my way? Was I to blame for my own failures and rejections? Although I had had quite a bit of success as a writer, I simply wasn’t making the impact I wanted to.  I especially wanted to be writing about yoga, and hadn’t found a satisfying way to do that.

I was so distraught by the possibility that I wasn’t giving the mantra my “all” that I started to cry. In fact, I went home and wept with abandon. Could it be that all the rejection and failure and lack of money was because of me?

After a few days of ruminating on the topic, I decided I wouldn’t blame myself, but I would start taking the mantra more seriously. I chanted for fewer minutes at a time, but I chanted my heart out. I pressed my hands firmly together with each “Har, ” and chanted from my navel with feeling. I chanted every day, sometimes several times a day, and often just when I was sending out a query or email.

Within a few weeks, odd things began to happen. I sent a blog post to Spirit Voyage, and it was immediately accepted. I sent a query about writing a yoga column to a community news website, and the editor said, “Yes.” I began waking in the morning full of writing ideas; sometimes I’d awaken in the middle of the night to jot them all down. I felt like I was on fire with creativity.

My step seemed lighter. My heart seemed more open. My attitude seemed…well, very different. The more I chanted with passion and confidence, the more my life seemed to change.

Next, I sent a query to Spirit Voyage asking to write about this experience and Ramdesh agreed. I thought to myself, “This is great! But my story would be even better if I could land an agent.”

So I kept chanting. And within a week, an agent called and said she loved my book and wanted to represent me.

I know I still have a long way to go before my book (which just happens to be about yoga) sells a million copies and I land a movie deal! But I’m no longer viewing that outcome as an impossibility.

In fact, each time I practice the Meditation for Prosperity, I feel a little closer to my goal. And I feel more and more certain that mantra creates reality, makes dreams come true, and helps miracles unfold.

Meditation for Prosperity II

Mantra: Har

Posture: Sit in Easy Pose, with a light Jalandhar Bandh. Elbows are by the sides, forearms angled up and outward with the fingers at the level of the throat. The exercise begins with the palms facing down.

Alternately hit the sides of the hands together. The Mercury (pinky) fingers and the Moon Mounds (located on the bottom of the palms) hit when the palms face up. When the palms hit facing down, the sides of the Jupiter (index) fingers touch, and the thumbs cross below the hands, with the right thumb under the left. Yogi Bhajan said that the thumbs crossing this way is the key to the meditation.

Chant continuously from the navel, using the tip of the tongue.

Time: Continue for 3-11 minutes. Yogi Bhajan has said about the timing: “This meditation can be done for up to 11 minutes. It is so powerful in bringing prosperity that more than 11 minutes would be greedy.”

Eyes: Focus at the tip of the nose, through eyes 9/10th closed.

Complete Mantra: Har Har Har Har Har…

“This meditation stimulates the mind, the moon center and Jupiter. When Jupiter and the moon come together, there is no way in the world you will not create wealth.” – Yogi Bhajan

1. I love your story. I started this meditation just this morning at 4:30am. I have a similar history with money, am in a desperate financial place with three children to support, and a relationship ended with someone I love. I’m going to put my heart and soul into this Har meditation and watch as things turn around. Enjoy your success, Kathryn!

2. This is s a powerful story, thank you for sharing it. I recently was introduced to this meditation, and I like you didn’t fully believe in the power of “Har”, but after having done the Kirtan Kriya for 40 days and still on going, I feel more receptive and aware of where I am lacking in faith when it comes to prosperity. I will be doing this meditation for the next 11 days, looking forward for all the miracles to manifest. Sat Nam.

3. Thank you for your wise comments, Maggie! I’m glad you are experiencing the powerful effects of this mantra, which continues to amaze me. And congrats on your article! I’m sure this will be the first of many, especially if you keep up with the Har Meditation for Prosperity. Sat Nam!

4. Kathryn, thanks for this great article. I started the meditation a few weeks ago. Of course money doesn’t fall out of the sky on anyone, and no one receives anything without first giving of themselves. I guess for me the most powerful thing about it (and I am not a Sikh, nor do i claim to be, nor do i know enough about that path) is that it seems to orient you toward yourself as God~~creating your own experiences of abundance that can be felt through forgiveness while also allowing yourself to feel taken care of. What has been appearing is this trust that it is all going to be ok with the right attitude. Funny thing too when I started chanting it, after writing for myself for years I got my first article published! How can aligning your self with something greater not be powerfully transformative? Good luck with your book~~ So much love.

5. Sat Nam, Sara. I do think this is a great meditation! I simply sat in easy pose and tuned in with “Ong Namo Guru Dev Namo” three times. I was chanting for three minutes at a time for 40 days when I wrote this piece. This January, I decided to recite the mantra for 11 minutes for 40 days. It does take a while to get into some of the mantras, but after a few days you’ll get into the flow. I must say that this mantra has been a great friend to me–just to continue the story, the book I mentioned above is being published in January, 2014! Good luck, and enjoy the journey.

6. Thanks for this article. This is a meditation I’ve been thinking about (and putting off) using this one for a while and I’ve finally downloaded the Tantric Har track. Can I ask how you tuned in and prepared yourself for the meditation and how long you did it for when you first started “taking it seriously” and reduced the amount of time.

It seems to take me a few goes to get into the meditations and focus my mind so I almost treat the first few as practice runs while I get the hang of the mudras and postures and learn to still my mind so any tips that would help would be great.

Thanks, Sara x

7. Sat Nam, Gurmeet! I can only speak from experience, but I have come to this meditation many times now (in fact I just started doing it again for the month of April) and each time when I get discouraged, I keep going, or take a break and go back to it. Since I began practicing Kundalini yoga my life has been filled with abundance, and I even finally found a publisher for that book, which will be coming out next January. Keep up and I am willing to bet good things will happen for you, too…but it may take some time!

8. Satnam,
    I had just started doing the har meditation but till date no positive results are felt. I know being a sikh the importance of the word har still doubtful of the results kindly advise.

9. Thanks for the comment, Siri Ajeet, and my very best wishes to you! I do believe that approaching the mantra with devotion is key, and I’m quite sure that the universe hears our prayers, so “keep up and you will be kept up!” And p.s. I am very close now to having that book I mentioned in my post finally published. Sometimes, it’s all about patience!

10. Thank you for this great article, just what I needed to read, as I have felt like nothing I do ever works. I will put my heart and soul into my meditations now as I realise I was probably just doing them like a routine or another job I needed to do. Thank you Kathryn.
    Blessings Siri Ajeet Barbara