Ask the Yogini: So Purkh

Photo courtesy Ram Rung Kaur

Dear Ramdesh,

First my best wishes to you from my heart.  I read and order sometimes from Spirit Voyage and this is how I know you and felt encouraged to write to you for advice.

I want to start the 40 days of So Purkh and I have a few questions about this.  Is it enough to listen and meditate to Nirinjan’s CD without really repeating the mantra aloud?  I usually “hear” the spoken word when I listen to mantras so I was not sure how to do the So Purkh in a decent way.

Also, Gurmukhi and English are not my languages…

For an answer I would be very grateful.

Thanks,

Katarina Kezeric

Sat nam Katarina!

This is a complicated question to answer.  Certainly, there is an effect that the energy of the mantra has in the space around you.  It creates an energy field that has an observable impact on the way a space feels.  Consider the works of Dr. Masaru Emoto on water; when putting a word on a bottle of water, the water picks up the vibration of the word.  If the word is “peace”, the ice crystal formed is beautiful and symmetrical.  If the word is “hate”, the ice crystal formed by the same water becomes twisted and ugly.  Our bodies are mostly water, so being in the presence of the beautiful words of mantra have an impact on our bodies, whether they are written or we are listening to them spoken aloud.  Yogi Bhajan specifically recommended that women in a committed relationship keep a recording of the So Purkh playing at all times when their partner is going through a hard time.

Silent repetition is also a way of consciously controlling the direction of the mind. Mantras may be repeated silently in order to direct the mind to a state of inner silence called anahat, where the ego is relaxed and the mantra is vibrated within every cell of your being.  Many Kundalini Yogis practice silent repetition of the mantra Sat Nam on every breath.  With each breath in, they silently repeat “Sat”, and with each breath out they silently repeat “Nam.”  This reminds them that their true identity is Infinity and trains their mind to stay still and focused.

That said, reciting the So Purkh or Sopurkh for 40 days in order to manifest the Divine in the men in your life is a specific practice.  It requires that the mantra be recited aloud in Gurmukhi for 40 days, 11 times a day. (Nirinjan Kaur Khalsa’s version So Purkh That Primal God is 31 minutes long and includes 11 repetitions, which is all you would need for one full day of the So Purkh). Reciting aloud is important because when your tongue hits the upper palate of your mouth it activates energy meridians that stimulate the endocrine glands to release hormones, causing a change in brain chemistry.  Pronunciation and rhythm are important, and the perfection of each leads to maximal effect.  However, since you do not know Gurmukhi, you simply do the best you can and form a relationship to the spirit behind the words, the shabad guru. The shabad guru is the teacher in the sacred Gurmukhi words, and that shabad guru is an energy that is carried on the words, correctly spoken. The shabad guru is also an energy that is carried into your heart by the purity of your intentions. In your case, since English is also not your first language, it doesn’t make much sense for you to recite in English. My advice to you is to work with Nirinjan’s recording in Gurmukhi, attempting to speak the words as she does, forgiving yourself when you make mistakes.

Many people who first start the So Purkh are overwhelmed by what they think is a very difficult mantra and want to give up and simply listen to it or recite it in English.  Although everything has an effect, in order to maximize results and create the specific effect that a 40-day practice of So Purkh has on the men in your life, you should attempt to recite it aloud in Gurmukhi. Each day will be easier.  Be gentle with yourself.  Keep it up, honoring the divine within you that will improve day by day. One day, you will realize how far you have come.

Enjoy the process!  The So Purkh works wonders, for you and for your loved ones. Waheguru!

Blessings,

Ramdesh Kaur

1. Hi,
    I’m new to this and have couple of questions;

1: If one sees dreams, do we have to take any actions? For example, I saw a situation where I got hurt and hurt a man in my life. Should I go and apologize now?

3: Is there any specific time to recite this? Can we divide 11 times – like 4 morning, 3 and 4 evening?

My experience so far , I just listened to it once to hear what it is with some intention and i already saw two vivid dreams..but my question is what to do when we see these dreams?

Thanks,

2. Hello!
    I just finished day 5 of Sopurkh and it has been quite an emotional ride. I was seriously considering quitting it this morning – that’s how painful it felt. It is sort of a depression which is sometimes easier sometimes heavier – note, i am quite light and happy person overall. I started Sopurkh to attract a partner and I realize that the emotional baggage will be clearing. However, just to be safe, is there a point when it is better to stop than to continue?

I am also practicing HARIYANG meditation to open opportunities and a meditation to remove fears. Can all these 3 be practices together or am i just confusing my energies?

Nilufar

3. Thank you! :)

4. Sat Nam!
    I just completed my 40 days today. I am wondering if I can keep going…are there any restrictions on chanting for 90 days or more? Or are we to only chant for 40 days and let it settle in?
    Thank you!

• You can keep going as long as you’d like, Rosie!

5. What mantras or shabads can men do to bring a quality woman in their lives ?

6. Kriya bracelet. Where and how can I get one and what are they for?

• I’m not familiar with a kriya bracelet. Do you mean a Kara?

7. Hi. I would be very greatful to receive your answer. Thanks in advance

8. Hi. I’ve been reciting chant So Purkh (the CD in original language) for more than 90 days. My intention is to heal wounds from the past and to attract my perfect husband. I suffered a lot from my past relationship brake-up, and I think I deserve a good man that loves me and have a good relationship, what really hurted me at the time was that I thought the chemestry we had was unique and my intuition told that he was the one, but it didnt work out, so I felt very dissapointed and it was very hard for me to accept that he stopped loving me. Sometimes I feel its hard to find someone that I can fall in love with and that all the circumstances are ideal to be with him. Its been a long time and I would really like to fall in love again and be loved. Im trying to stay positive, but sometimes I feel very sad. Do you have any advice for me to suceed in finding my soulmate?

9. Satnam Waheguru ji. Thanks for this info.

10. Sat nam Jaideep ji!

For men it is slightly less obvious. Certainly men could do the Sopurkh as well. I know several who have used it to attract their own soul mate successfully, although to my knowledge Yogi Bhajan never presented it directly to men.

However, if i were advising a male student on how to heal his relationships with woman, I would recommend Kirtan Kriya. Kirtan Kriyas is a beautiful practice. You sit in easy pose with your hands lightly resting on your knees. Eyes are closed. The mantra is “Sa Ta Na Ma.” When you say “Sa” touch your forefinger and your thumb together. When you say “Ta” touch your middle finger and your thumb together. When you say “Na”, your ring finger and your thumb. When you say “Ma,” your pinkie and your thumb. Repeat this mantra aloud for five minutes in a strong voice. Then whisper the mantra for five minutes. Then silently repeat it in your head for ten minutes. Then whisper it again for five minutes. Then sing it aloud again for five minutes. The whole time you apply the mudras. To end stretch the hands up as far as possible. Then stretch the spine. Take some cleansing breaths and then relax. Spirit Voyage has several wonderful recordings of Kirtan Kriya, each for varying lengths of mediation. I recommend a 31 minute practice and personally use Wah! (Waheguru Kaur Khalsa)’s 31 minute recording. There is a particular melody you are supposed to use when you sing the mantra for Kirtan Kriya, so a recording is very helpful both for that and for keeping time. This meditation is good for many things, among them restoring a sense of inner peace and calm, balancing the brain hemispheres, cleansing the heart and throat chakras, increasing positive communication, and enhancing a new, more vital intuitive sense.

I would also suggest Sat Kriya for all men. It keeps them healthy and helps to balance their sexual centers, which can store much turmoil from relationships with women. However, I previously mentioned clearing the arcline. A man’s arcline is not as sensitive as a woman’s and will naturally clean itself out after one full moon cycle.

The book of Yogi Bhajan’s teachings “Man to Man” is the most comprehensive resource available on Kundalini Yoga for men. On a case by case basis, you could certainly find the perfect practice for the man in your life in that book.

Blessings,
    Ramdesh Kaur

11. Satnam. Thank you for this beautiful information! I was wondering, is there a similar meditation for men that they could use to heal their relationships with women? Thank you and many blessings.

12. Sat nam ji,

I’m happy to answer your (and anyone else’s!) questions about the beautiful practice of Sopurkh. This meditation is wonderful for single women. It is said to call in your soul mate. Yogi Bhajan made it very clear though that before the Sopurkh could attract your beloved, it would help you clear out your karma. It would certainly help a single woman deal with anger and mistrust of men. A woman is a powerfully sensitive energetic creature. Anytime a woman has an intimate relationship with a man, her arcline retains an imprint of his aura. The Sopurkh is one of several practices that helps a woman clear out the energetic imprint of a man’s aura from her arcline. Once a woman gets some clarity, she can decide whether she prefers to be on her own, or wants to attract a partner.

The answer to your other question is that absolutely the Sopurkh can work on a woman’s husband or brother. A woman may say the Sopurkh for up to three men at any one time. That could include husband, son, father, brother, friend or not-yet-found life partner.

Blessings,
    Ramdesh Kaur

13. On another note: will chanting this mantra have an effect on a woman’s brother or father? That would be most worthwhile….

14. What about the effects, if any, of meditating on So Purkh if you are a single woman? Can it help heal a woman’s anger, mistrust and fear of men? Or can it make her happy to be on her own and better able to enjoy her own company, free from any need for a romantic relationship?

15. Sat Namji

Thank you, excellent response, answering so many questions our community here have been grappling with…

Blessings,

Deva x

1. Virginia Olson - [...] powerful mantra. To discover it for yourself, listen to the SoPurkh on YouTube. I also recommend “Ask the Yogini: …
  2. Healing Relationships with So Purkh « Living a Whole Life: Reflections on Spiritual Practice - [...] So Purkh is a beautiful and powerful mantra. To discover it for yourself, listen to the SoPurkh on YouTube. …